This year, Spanish national broadcaster (TVE) has used the popular talent show Operación Triunfo as a platform to select their entry for the Eurovision 2018. This method was also used in 2002 and 2004 to select Spanish entry for the popular competition.
The selection process last six weeks. The final night of Operación Triunfo was held on 29 January in Barcelona, Spain. Six best artists reached the final of the show: Aitana, Alfred, Amaia, Ana Guerra, Miriam and Agoney who had been given a wildcard to participate in one of the duets.
9 songs were performed among the 6 contestants: 5 solos, 3 duets and 1 group song:
- Aitana – Arde (Alba Reig / María Peláez)
- Alfred – Que Nos Sigan Las Luces (Nil Moliner)
- Amaia – Al Cantar (Rozalén)
- Ana Guerra – El Remedio (Nabález / Pedro Malaber / Mango)
- Miriam – Lejos De Tu Piel (Steve Robson / Ina Wroldsen / Diego Cantero ‘Funambulista’)
- Aitana & Ana Guerra – Lo Malo (Morgan & Will Simms / Brisa Fenoy)
- Alfred & Amaia – Tu Canción (Raúl Gómez / Sylvia Santoro)
- Miriam & Agoney – Magia (David Otero / Diego Cantero ‘Funambulista’ / Tato Latorre)
- Aitana, Alfred, Amaia, Ana Guerra & Miriam – Camina (OT 2017 contestants / Manu Guix)
After the first round, the three entries with the most votes from the public – via telephone, sms and the official Operación Triunfo 2017 app proceeded to the Super Final.In the Super Final the public in Spain selected Amaia & Alfred to represent their country at Eurovision Song Contest 2018 in Lisbon with the song “Tu Canción” with 43% of the public votes.
The winning song “Tu Canción” is written by Raúl Gómez and Sylvia Santoro.
As a member of the Big 5, Spain automatically qualified to compete in the final which will be held on Saturday, 12 May.
Congratulations and good luck!